About The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care by Sally Fallon Morell
The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care makes the principles of traditional nutrition available to modern parents. The book provides holistic advice for pregnancy and newborn interventions, vaccinations, breastfeeding and child development, as well as a compendium of natural treatments for childhood illnesses, from autism to whooping cough. The work of Rudulf Steiner supports the book's emphasis on the child's spiritual requirement for imaginative play.
The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Care is about using traditional nutritional wisdom to raise your child in a healthy way. The book contrasts conventional belief systems about pregnancy and feeding children vs. giving babies and children a more traditional diet based on plenty of grass-fed animal fats and proteins.
Most readers are probably picking up this book because they are familiar with Sally Fallon's popular cookbook, Nourishing Traditions. If you are not familiar with that book, Paleo diets, or the work of the Weston Price Foundation, then be prepared to have your dietary and health belief systems turned upside down. For those familiar with the work of the Weston Price Foundation, you will find this book to be an extremely thorough explanation of using real foods, tying together many important topics about how to have a very healthy child.
- Discussion about healthy fats. Many parents and parents-to-be are scared of fats because we've been fed a lie about cholesterol. I'm not afraid of fats and believe they are essential to nutrition and development, especially that of children, but I sometimes feel the WAPF goes overboard with this.
- Exploration of the vitamins and minerals needed prior to conception and during pregnancy.
- Discussion about toxic chemical exposure in every day life/products and the risks of this during pregnancy.
- An examination of what is in modern infant formula.
- Comprehensive suggestions for treating common childhood ailments using natural approaches rather than mainstream medicine.